Locksmithing/stuck deadbolt

Question
Hello,

Thank you for being a volunteer!  I think you are wonderful.  I have a Defiant deadbolt on the door between my house and garage that is keyed on both sides.  The key would turn on both sides but the door would not open.  Several people tried it.  A friend thought he could release the lock by taking it apart.  He took off the inside part and was then able to take off the other side but could not figure out how to release it.  How can I get this door to open?  Will taking it off of the hinges help? Once again, thank you, I appreciate your time!

Answer
Hello Edy,

You'll have to force the deadbolt mechanism to move.  This sometimes requires destruction of the mechanism - hammer and strong screwdriver or cold chisel.

Removing the hinge pins may not help because your hinges may have tabs that prevent the door from being removed even if the pins are out.  If you'd prefer this over destruction of the deadbolt mechanism, try it first but don't be surprised if the hinge tabs prevent removal.

I'd then suggest never buy a Defiant lock again, they are complete junk.  Get a Schlage or at the very least a Kwikset.

James

Locksmithing

James