Locksmithing/weight of safe

Question
I have an older Schwab Safe that my wife insists on taking with us since we are moving. The problem is that the thing is huge(84"Hx54"Wx36"deep)and I am having trouble finding any information on the internet about the weight of the safe.The info on the tag inside says Schwab Safe Company,Data Bank Right Line,Spec F2-ND and there is another No. that might be a model # which Y-2025. All the moving companies keep asking me for a weight so they can give me an estimate for moving it. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Joe Szwanke

Answer
Joe,

Safe Manufactures National Association (SMNA) specification F2-ND indicates a fire resistive cabinet, NOT a fire resistive safe.   If it is a "Data Bank" then it was designed to provide really good fire resistance for DATA storage devices.

As your safe is from the 1950's it does NOT meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it has NO burglary resistance.   While this container probably still offers pretty good fire resistance, it should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

As big as your safe is, it could easily weigh in at 3000-3500 lbs.   I would have to check some old catalogs on Monday, but this is probably pretty close.   As far as finding any information on the internet, manufacturers ONLY keep CURRENT catalogs available, so unless your computor allows for time travel, you probably won't find anything.

Most "moving" companies are NOT equipt to move safes, safely!   So unless you have a local safe company that can assist you (loading it into the moving company truck for instance), I would be hesitant to have them do it.

Unfortunately these old "monster's" have no commercial or retail value, and are really hard to sell.   We generally charge owners to haul them away.

Sorry, I wish the news was better.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)