Locksmithing/Yale Lock in Old Safe Door

Question
img3850
img3850  

img3849
img3849  
Hi, I installed an old bank vault door into a new house a few years ago and am finally getting around to making the thing work. It had,  I am assuming, was the original paint on the front of the door that said National Safe and Lock Co., Cleveland, Ohio. I had it sandblasted and repainted before I installed into the new house and was going to get redone like it was before with pictures. It has a Yale combination with the date of Jan, 1894 on the lock front. I never had the combination. I know I am missing a piece that goes from the mechanism to the bar, because I can see the 2 screw holes that have nothing, but I can't tell if I am missing something inside the mechanism. I can see the 4 wheels inside the mechanism, and I can tell when all the notches are lined up, but I can't tell if I am missing anything else? Also, would the combination be all the numbers it takes to see the notches line up facing the door latch? I can send more pictures. Thanks

Answer
Troy,

The National Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1883 until 1920 when it was acquired by the Steelcraft Corp. of America.   They continued manufacturing under the name The National Safe Company until closing business around 1929 (Great Depression).

The lock is a "rotary bolt" lock,   When the combination has been dialed correctly, a lever will enter the wheels, and during retraction the lock bolt will pivot up and out of the way, revealing a cavity in the lock.

The missing piece on the bolt work, is a "straight tail piece".   When the lock is unlocked and the cavity revealed, turning the handle on the door, will move the bolt work (retracted), and drive the straight tail piece into the lock.   In the locked position (as in photos), the closed rotary bolt, blocks the movement of the missing straight tail piece, and the bolt work cannot be retracted (opened).

As you didn't include any interior photos of the lock, I can't tell if all of the pieces are there.

My recommendation, rather than sending photos, would be to have a safe technician from a local safe company inspect it for proper operation, and recover or reset the combination, and repair or fabricate any missing pieces.

If necessary you can send me photos, of the lock insides, and I'll see if everything appears to be there.

Send the pics to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)