Locksmithing/Bank Vault Door

I contacted you a few weeks ago asking about the age and brand of a vault door.  You respond informing me that you needed much better pictures.  Last night I sent pictures of the door to your email account.  Please let me know if they did not go through.  I am looking for information on age, brand, and possibility of fixing the combination lock.  Also, is it possible to remove overcoats of paint, revealing the original layer in a decent condition.  Thank you very much for your time and help.  

ANSWER: Casey,

I'm on the road much of the week, and don't get a chance to see my emails until I get into the office, usually I have several hundred that I'm working on in addition to my regular 10 hours of work each day.
While I answer the questions on AllExperts at home in the evenings, the questions or photos that I have to have, which go to my email, get answered as I have time, which means that depending on the number it may be a couple of days - sorry but work comes first.

I do get to them as quickly as possible, and in many cases I stay at work a couple hours after the shop closes, to get caught up.   Please be patient, and I'll get to your emails as quickly as possible.

QUESTION: I have a little more info on the vault door.  I looked closer at the door frame and found the faint outline of the words "County Assessor".  I had been told that the door came out of an old bank in Pryor.  It turns out the Pryor is the county seat for Mayes County Oklahoma and the old building was demolished in 2006.  Mayes County was founded in 1907, I have no idea when the old courthouse was constructed. Thanks.

great, the more documentation that you can gather pertaining to the door, the easier it will be to sell it, and/or evaluate it.    Though stories, without documentation, are exactly that stories.

What they do provide is a basis for research.   Many counties have photographs of older buildings for historical and/or reference purposes.   Scouring these photos of the bank or bank property, may yield a photo or two of the safe actually in use at the bank.

while I love research projects like this, they can take up a significant amount of time.

Good luck.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)