Locksmithing/bedroom door locks

Hi James,

My problem is the same as the lady below, however, I had already tried what was suggested below and the problems I encountered were 1. The screws under the top plate are virtually impossible to reach with a screw driver 2. If you do manage to get the screws out, the plates and knobs still will not come apart. I finally ended up bending the outer plate to get the screws out which didn't get the job done and then had to use a hack saw and cut the knob off. I have two more doors to do and really don't like the idea of using a hack saw on them. There must be a trick to this. I can tell you they are made by National Lock in 2001 and they have a push button on one side and a key lock on the other. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Rico,

I want to remove the knob on my bedroom door.  Right now I have a knob that has no keyhole to lock my door.  I want to replace this existing knob with a knob that has a keyhole that I can lock.  Do you have any suggestions for me on what would be the easiest way to remove the doorknob?  Do I need a special tool to take the knob off.  There are no screws visible on the knob.  I'm assuming there is an attachment not visible that is holding the knob together.  What would you suggest?

Hello Ann,

The screws will be on the inside of the door under a removable plate. Take a flat head screw driver and pry the inside plate away from the door. This should reveal the two screws that need to be removed. You will use a regular phillips head screw driver to remove those two screws.

Once you remove those screws you can remove the knob from the door. Don't forget to take the bolt out of the door once the knob has been removed.

The door is now ready for you to install the new lock. Follow the instructions that came with your new lock to install it.

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Rico Torres

Hello Carol,

The answer the other person left is very wrong.

There is a small hole in the inside knob, toward the back.  Push a small paperclip into that hole to depress the retainer and pull the knob off.  Now pry the rose up and it should now be completely removable and reveal the mounting screws which you can remove all of the way.  Once off, slide the inside knob assembly out of the door then the outside assembly.  Now remove the latch bolt on the edge of the door.

If there is no retainer on the inside knob, again it's toward the back and usually on the side, reply to this and attach a photo.  Sometimes prying up the rose will show a second type of installation but that's generally only with Kwikset.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.