Locksmithing/Cary Safe

I have a Cary Safe.  Serial number 19169.  This has been in my family for years.  I am trying to find out any information about this safe.  I would love as much info as possible.  I am looking to have it restored.  I just dion't know where to start.
Could you offer any advice?  
I live in South Georgia.  Is there any place near me that works on these?  It is rather heavy so I am limited in mobility of this piece.

Based on your serial number, I would expect your safe to have been made between 1887 to 1890, though I would need to verify what you actually have to come up with a closer date.    The lock I would expect to see on your safe (based on this serial number) would be a Yale 062-1/2.

As this serial and date would make your safe an antique, restoration would probably help its overall value, especially if you wanted to keep it in the family.

Unfortunately there are NOT a lot of restoration specialists in the country, so traveling is not an option - it is pretty much mandatory.   the nearest company that I know of, to you would be:

Ray Talton
Talton Safes
5924 Fayetteville Road,
Raleigh, NC  27606

I'll actually see Ray tomorrow at an antique safe auction in Pennsylvania, that we are both attending.

There are a couple others but they are further away.

Your other options include doing it as a DIY project, however you may not have the skills, tools or time.   You can also check with the art department at a local college to see if they would be interested in taking your safe on as a restoration project.   If not, they might have a talented artist willing to work on the safe for you.   $$$'s do make it easier to get someone.   Make sure that you understand up front exactly WHAT restoration work is going to be done, as artists tend to have their own ideas, which may conflict with what you want done, or what needs to be done.

Many of the safe restoration specialists would rather sell there restored safes rather than taking on customers for a couple reasons.   When you are "selling" a restored safe, customers are buying "as is".   When you are restoring a safe for a customer, they sometimes have unreasonable expectations of what they are getting.   For instance if you are expecting to have a Picasso, then you need to hire Picasso.   Have realistic expectations for the work that can be done, and make sure that you and who ever does your restoration work are on the same page.   It helps to have every thing in writing and sign off on the art work that is going to be on the safe BEFORE it is actually done.

Good luck, if you want me to confirm the information on your safe, and/or do a current evaluation, let me know.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)