Locksmithing/Debold Safr

I have the opportunity to pick up a debold safe spec F-1D class B. This was an old safe used by a local post office. I have read many of younanswers regarding safes of this type. My question is this. Is it worn having the safe moved there would be no other cost. My thought is just to use it for documents and a couple of firearms.

While the safe may provide basic protection - I still have to worn you that it does NOT meet current standards for fire resistance, and it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.  Because it is on wheels, it may not meet what ever standards that Florida has for weapons storage - you will have to check your requirements for this.

The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) label on the safe indicates that the safe was made before 1962 - probably during the early 50's.   Safes over 50 years old do not meet current standards.    This container should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents, and is questionable concerning firearms storage.

The SMNA label indicates that it is a "Specification F1-D", Fire Resistive safe, and the "Classification B" shows that it was meant for up to 2 hours of fire resistance.

Other than that it may be a nice container for every day use, of NON valuable document storage, and if serviced should give you several years of use out of it.

As far as the "is it worth" question.   Free is ALWAYS a great deal, as long as you understand its limitations and don't expect it to be Fort Knox, I think it could work for you.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)