Locksmithing/Difficulty Engaging Lock on Liberty Safe

Question
Hello,

I have a Liberty Safe (Revere) with an S&G electronic lock.  The entire time I've had the safe, months now, I've had difficulty locking the safe.  When I turn the handle there is considerable resistance as the active bolts move out of the safe door and in to the locked position.  As the bolts extend to the furthest point there is a clunk or thud from within the safe door and then the bolts are locked.  This occurs both when the door is shut and when the door is open, so I don't think it's anything interfering with the door shutting or the bolts extending as the problem wouldn't occur when the door is open and I lock the safe.

When I unlock the safe the handle turns easily, with one hand only.  To lock the safe I need to use both hands to get the locking bolts to engage.

What would be causing this and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Answer
Ian,

My first recommendation (if your safe is only a few months old), would be to contact Liberty Safe, as they have an excellent warranty program.   They want you to be happy with your safe.

Either contact the Liberty dealer that you purchased the safe from, or you can call customer service at the factory at:   1-801-925-1000.   

If they can't help you over the phone, they will dispatch a service tech to check out and repair the problem.

If YOU elect to do this as a DIY project, then you may void your warranty.

The problem could be a number of issues - but as mechanical problems require hands on diagnostics and solutions, without having more information or being at the safe, I would simply be guessing.

Give Liberty a call.   If they can't help you or if the safe is not under warranty, then let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)