Locksmithing/front door lock strike plate

QUESTION: My front door appears to be made out of some sort of metal; at least the outside is metal.  The door has a deadbolt lock and right below it is a keyed lock with a handle on the inside and a knob on the outside. That lock broke. When I turn the handle, the latch no longer engages.
I have been unable to find a similar handle/knob lock.  But the main problem is that this lock does not have a strike plate. Looking for a replacement, I have only seen locks with strike plates. I am writing to ask if there are still door locks sold without a strike plate or with a strike plate that can be removed.
If there are no locks without strike plates, other than hiring someone, how can I solve this problem myself? What are the tools required to install a strike plate in a door such as this?
Thank you very much for your advice.

ANSWER: Hello Hank,

I think what you mean is that on the edge of the door there is not a plate around the latch bolt.  The strike plate is on the door frame.

Kwikset and Schlage make a 6 way latch, meaning they latches will work on 2 different backsets, have 2 different door edge plates and can be used without a plate on the door edge.

This type is called a drive-in latch.  They are included with most locks but have to be ordered separately with others.

Thank you for your quick response.
I looked around for the 6-way latch. Is this what you had in mind?

Does this mean that I buy a lock, and replace that latch with the 6–way one?
If so, how do I know the two will match?

Hello Hank,

If you buy a Kwikset lock it will already have that latch.  Most Schlage locks do too.

If you but the latch you show in the link, it will only work with Kwikset locks but again, the locks include those but it wouldn't hurt to check the box.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.