Locksmithing/Gary Safe Code

Question
Hi Andy - I recently discovered a Gary safe in our home and I'm trying to figure out how to access/use it without having a technician drill the lock out.  It's an old school circular floor safe, with a 0-60 dial on it.  Do you happen to know of any factory codes or reset codes available for such a safe?  

I called FireKing and it appears that Gary Safe was acquired a couple of times and along the way they didn't retain a lot of serial numbers for their older safes.  So they don't have any record of my safe and said that the only thing they can do is drill out the lock. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,

Sharieff

Answer
Sharieff,

You are correct in that the "Gary" label currently produced by FireKing Int. is NOT the same company who made your safe.   It wasn't that FireKing didn't "retain" a lot of records, many of the older records NEVER got passed along.

As far as "Factory codes or reset codes" there is no such thing.   This is one of those TV & Internet myths that keeps getting recycled.   If there were such a thing as factory codes or reset codes which could open the safe or reset a combination when it was locked out, safes really wouldn't be very safe now would they.   It would be a fairly simply act, for someone having access to these codes, to possibly use them for some nefarious reason - cash and gold have a way of turning honest people into criminals if they think they can get away with it.

EVERY safe left the factory set on its OWN unique combination.   As most locks have the ability to use close to 1,000,000 combinations, most manufacturers could build 10,000 safes every year for 100 years and NEVER use the same combo twice.    Manufacturers NEVER published or released, in any manner, information concerning the safes, serial numbers, combinations and/or who they were sold to, for obvious security and/or liability reasons.

If your safe has a 60 number dial, then it has the possibility of about 216,000 combinations.

So at this point you have two options available to you.   1.  You can simply dial each of the possible combinations until you find the correct one.   Dialing 500 every day, you should exhaust the list in about 432 days.   Hopefully you don't make a dialing error or miss a number as you would never know until you expend the whole list and find out it hasn't opened.

2.  Have the safe opened by a trained, professional safe technician open the safe.   While manipulation is possible, it is never a guarantee, and you may not have a safe tech in your area who is trained in manipulation.   I'm not sure why you are opposed to having the safe "drilled".   If done correctly by a TRAINED safe technician, the lock WILL NOT be damaged, or ruined.   We open 3-5 safes every day, and the only time we have to replace a lock is when it was already failed or non-responsive.    This is especially valid for older or obsolete safes or locks.   If parts are not available, then ANY damage to the lock is NOT an option.

If your locksmith or safe technician can't open this safe without ruining the door or lock, then you probably have the wrong person.   Afterall, would you take your car to a mechanic for an oil change if it told you he could change the oil but he was going to ruin the engine in the process???   I didn't think so.

If you don't have a local safe company, then let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)