Locksmithing/hall safe door

Question
i have a hall vault door.  it lacks one of the locking bolts and the hinges.  i would love to use this door.  i'm looking for information on the hinges.

thanks

Answer
Bill,

Sorry, but manufacturers never published or released ANY information concerning their products, serial numbers or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons.   There are no manuals for this type of equipment or this type of work.

If you are missing parts, then you will have to fabricate everything.

As far as the hinges go, I do a lot of hinge repairs.   We fabricate what ever parts we can't obtain.   Your first step to fabrication would be to design what ever you plan on using.   Generally the older doors were simply drilled round stock, with a "flag" welded to it, to allow mounting to the door, either by bolting or welding.   The hinge Pin would be made to fit the hole drilled into the round stock.

The easy way to mount the hinges is to lay the door and frame onto a level surface, positioning the door where you want it.   Lay the hinges accross the door and frame, in alignment from top to bottom, and attach to the frame and door.

Better quality hinges will include bushings or a roller bearing to reduce any side wear, and a ball bearing and adjusting screw to absorb any vertical wear, and provide up/down adjustments to the door.   Lubrication points can be included, so that the door does not have to be pulled for regular maintenance.

Bearings, etc. can be obtained from local sources like Motion Industries   (www.motionindustries.com)   material for the hinges can be obtained from most metal supply houses.

Similarly locking bolts, etc. can be fabricated or machined, and then plated to match existing surfaces.   Obviously you want to do all the machining before having it plated.

If you don't have the capabilities to fabricate what you need, then you will need to sub the work out to a good safe company (that does this type work - few do), or possibly a machine shop.   Generally the machine shop will not do the welding or installation, which means that you WILL need to provide them with all of the drawings and measurements for what you need done.   If there are any mistakes in the measurements, they aren't going to make corrections for free, as the parts were made to your specifications.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)