Locksmithing/House Front Door Lock

I am unable to turn my key to my front door lock.  It will open from the inside by using the lever.

The lock had been opening with the key but only after repeated turnings left and right.  Now it doesn't open.

Should I remove it for re-keying or replace it?  Or is there a self-fix I can do?

Thanks, Jim

Hello Jim,

Without knowing the brand or model it's hard to say what the issue is.

It's likely fixable but it may be quicker to replace it, plus even a repair may only be temporary.

If you do replace it, choose Schlage (stay away from the F series) or the higher quality Kwikset unless you want something that will last even longer then choose a Grade 1 commercial lock, available at locksmith shops.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.