Locksmithing/Librerty Safes S&G lock

Question
I have a rotational lock for my gun safe.  New the combitatin would not work, I went through there book and yes the middle number had been changed due to shipping, I finally got the safe open.  Now the safe is closed and locked, and will not open, I am following the directions but the safe will not open.  I have gone through the hole gammit of if the numbers have changed and went back to the original combination and the jiggled the hand at 0, prior to going to 87, but the lock will not stop at 87.  I do not understand why it opened before but now it will not, help.  How do I get through the combination, please advise.

Answer
Mark,

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors),
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

The chances of the "middle number" of the combination, "changing" due to shipping, is so remote that I would place it in the "not happening on this planet" category.  There are several reasons for this, not happening event.   The first being that it is more or less isolated from any interaction with the dial by the drive wheel and the number 3 wheel.   So any bumping during shipping would not affect this wheel by itself.

If the dial was bumped or shifted during shipping, it WILL affect all the numbers of the lock equally.   The numbers set on the wheels does not slip or shift, but the dial or dial rings alignment may have shifted, giving the APPEARANCE that your combination is now different.   While you may have to dial (+/-) your original combination, it is the alignment of the dial, dial ring and lock that have changed.

If you note above, the biggest reason (#1) that locks don't open, is simply incorrect dialing of the combination (operator errors),  I don't know HOW MANY times people tell me that they know what they are doing and are doing it correctly, only to find out that they have made a simple error, which is why the lock won't open.

The dialing sequence for your lock is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (should be around 90).

NOTE:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual numbers as they arrive at the 12 o'clock index mark.   So if your first number is 50,  you would turn the dial counter clockwise, stopping the fourth time the number 50 ARRIVES at the index mark.

Assuming that your dial was bumped or shifted during shipping or moving, add and/or subtract (+/-) one number to EACH number and retry the combination.   You will have a series of 10 combinations (5 high/5 low) to test.

If it still doesn't open, then I recommend that you have the safe checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company - NOT a locksmith.   Note:  as you have indicated that you received your safe (shipping), I would assume that it is either a new safe or you have simply relocated.   You may want to contact Liberty Safe to check with them.   They have a good customer service / tech support staff that can help their customers.   You can contact them at: 1-800-247-5625

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)