Locksmithing/lost combo numbers to my 2001 cannon gun safe

Question
please help me open the safe with out damage is there some pre set codes I COULD TRY ive never changed the numbers that came with the safe, and all am told is the only thing that lock smiths want to do is smash the safe, ive talk to 5 its all the same cry..too bad !! is there some default codes for cannon??

Answer
Tom,

I'm not sure where every one comes up with this "pre-set" or "factory" or "default" combo's or codes.   There is no such thing, it is simply internet myth and movie fakery.

There are two types of locks - mechanical locks and digital or electronic locks.   The general "group 2", standard type mechanical lock that most manufacturers use, has the capability of around 1,000,000 possible combinations.   If a safe manufacturer built 10,000 safes per year, it would take them 100 years to possibly use up all the combinations without duplicating them.
Every safe is set on its OWN, unique and individual combination.
Digital or electronic locks also have the 1,000,000 possible codes avaialable.   HOWEVER, generally ALL safe makers install the locks and leave them set on the original 1-2-3-4-5-6.   When the original owner (that would be you) receives the safe, they reset this code to what ever they choose.   The 1-2-3-4-5-6 is gone.
Some, not all digital locks may have a management Reset Code available.   This code has to be set by the factory when the lock is installed.   If the factory set the MRC, then your lock can possibly be reset.    If the factory did NOT set your lock up to this feature, then there is no way to recover it.  You WILL have to contact Cannon Safe to find out if this feature is available for the digital lock on your safe.
Some, not all digital locks may be reprogrammed to return them to a factory status, however the safe door MUST be locked open and access to the lock circuit board, must be available.   If the safe is locked shut, then this is not an option.

First recommendation - I NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally have no training, knowledge or tools to work on safes and simply cause excessive damage and then expect an exhorbant fee.   If they are going to ruin it, then you might as well save the money and beat it up yourself.
I recommend that you contact a SAFE Technician from a local safe company.   While there may not be one really close by, there are probably several safe companies in your state.   Most of us cover fairly large areas due to the nature of our work.

I would also recommend that you contact Cannon's customer service to discuss the issue.   They WILL need the serial number of your safe in order to help you.   If they do not have an MRC, or can't help you over the phone, they may have a safe technician in your area that they routinely use for service.

Cannon Safes - Technical Support/Customer Support
Mon-Sat 6am-8pm PST, excluding major holidays.
800-222-1055

Cost to have the safe opened and repaired WITHOUT DESTROYING IT, by a trained safe technician should be in the $350 to $500 range, plus any parts - new digital lock possibly.   While drilling it may be necessary, if done by a professional, we are talking a single small hole, which is easily repaired.   With a new lock installed the safe will be just like new in a couple hours.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)