Locksmithing/Mosler Model 12

I have general questions about a Mosler Model I am considering for purchase. Most critically, I need to know the weight.
Info known about the safe:
1. Model 12
2. 2 door (I have seen pictures of single door "model 12's" which confuses me...
3. Serial number 20403-17
4. Lock is id'd as Mosler Group 2 (not S&G), red decal, SN 58992n (where n is the last number). Lock is <stamped> in metal on back with an additional number, 302-40n where n is a final number.
5. UL listing tag (red and gold) with R-2544, plant #1 and "number" 929872
6. SMNA tag (green and silver) has Spec: F1-D, Class: C, Top right id of 603306 and Cat No. which is left blank...
7. A final red and silver tag, UL, listing BP-280, plant #1, and Class C re-blocking device, No: A 9nnn where n is numbers.

I visited the safe today and am concerned about weight. Up to 1,000 pounds I can handle relatively easily. Over that gets "interesting" depending on how heavy.  The safe is, I believe, good value for money and is in excellent condition assuming it is at least 2 years old. It has no rust, kept dry and oiled. In excellent condition IMO and what I am looking for assuming it is fireproof (I assume so but am not sure how long and wondering the answer to this question as well.

The safe is also on 2 locked casters (steel) that appear to be connected via a bolt on frame arrangement. Dimensions are apx. 70 1/2" high, 39 wide, and 27 or so deep... a few removable shelves inside as well, all in great condition with mounts etc.

Any information (weight, just HOW fireproof and other spec data) would be appreciated should anyone know. I have dug on the net but not found such information to date.  Also, does this model need a separate KEY to set the combination ? (Combination is known currently.)

Thanks in advance for any/all information folks are able to provide.

While the container may have a "model" number on it, none of the available catalogs have listings for the older stuff.   As this company was in business from 1874 until 2001, they had a LOT of model changes.

As your container has an SMNA tag and it also has the red Mosler tag, it would have been made during the 1950's or really early 1960's.

This safe was designed as a standard, 1 hour rated (class C), fire resistive safe.    Basically as the safe is over 50 years old, it does NOT meet current standards for fire resistance, and is NOT a burglary resistive container.   It should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.    Oh, by the way, there is no such thing as a "FIRE PROOF" safe, they are fire resistive only, designed to keep the interior temperature BELOW 350 degrees F., for the period specified - in this case 1 hour - which is a MINIMUM fire resistive rating.

Based on the construction and the dimensions that you have provided, I would estimate that the safe is in the 1500 to 1800 lb. range.

Bottom line - IF you are purchasing this safe for a specific need (in this case fire protection), then I would have to recommend against it, as was mentioned, because of its age it does NOT meet current standards.   IF you are purchasing this safe as a burglary resistive safe, then I would also have to recommend against it, as it is NOT a burglary resistive safe.
If you are simply purchasing it as a general purpose safe, to provide minimum fire and burglary resistance, and you understand its limitations, AND IF the price of the container is something that you are happy with, then go for it.    But don't buy it expecting it to provide more than it is capable of, and expecting the cheap price of an older used safe.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)