Locksmithing/Mosler safe

Question
I have acquired a Mosler safe class T-20 Burglary Model #124640.I was wondering if you can tell me the date of the safe.It was made in Hamilton Ohio.  The problem is,the door is open but in the locked position and I do not have the combination.It says I can change the combination by using a KEY and going by the instruction sheet unfortunately I don't have ether one.Where can I get these or how can I get this safe back into action.        
         HELP  HELP  
         THANKS TOM

Answer
Tom,

Your safe could be from the late 1940's through the early 1960's.

Good news is that it is locked open.   

I NEVER recommend combination changing as a DIY project for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of knowledge, training and tools can result in an expensive lockout, even for something relatively easy.    If I won't recommend having a trained locksmith do the work, I hope you can see why I wouldn't recommend it as a DIY project.  Contact a local safe company to have their safe technician do the work.

As Mosler has been out of business for over 13 years, parts - etc. are not readily available any longer.   I can probably still find you a change key and a set of instructions, however we have a "hold harmless form" which you must fill out first.   Basically its simply a responsibility form, indicating that you understand the problems and take all responsibility if you accidently lock it up.

To request the form, I'll need you to send a request to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com
I'll also need to know exactly WHAT model lock you are dealing with to get the proper tool.   If you don't have or know this info, I'll probably need photos of the lock - back case and interior.   Cost for the tool and instruction could run $50 to $100, depending on the lock, tools and shipping & handling.

Changing WILL require partial disassembly of the lock to set it up to be recovered or changed.   The instructions ONLY work if you already know the CURRENT combination.

My first recommendation would be for you to contact a local safe company to have them change the combination.  I would also recommend that you have them service the lock and/or safe to ensure that you won't have any problems with it.
Cost will depend on what you actually have done, but should run between $100 to $200.

Difference:   If you do the work and lock it up - it could cost you up to $500 to have it opened and repaired.   If you have it done, the work should have a least a 90 day service warranty, and ensure that it is done correctly.   Inspection will ensure that there are no other hidden problems that you need to be aware of.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)