Locksmithing/Mosler Safe and lock company

QUESTION: Hi i have a Mosler safe that my mother had and i have never been in it she told me back in the late 80s that she lost the combernation to the safe. on the handles it has the numbers 110875, on the dial it has dates on it. sept 7,1880 nov 2 1880, july 18 1882, march 11 1884, aug 26 1884. CAN YOU HELP ME GET THIS OPEN.

ANSWER: Alonzo,

Yes, I can open the safe, but it would be kind of expensive as I'm in California.   Manufacturers NEVER published lists of combinations, serial numbers, or anything having to do with safes for obvious security and/or liability reasons.  You basically have two options, you can try all of the 1,000,000+ combinations that the lock may be set on, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

NOTE:   I DO NOT recommend using locksmiths as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.  As your safe is probably an antique, you don't want to damage it.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are at (zipcode) and i'll see who I know in your area.

QUESTION: I am in 38930 Greenwood, MS. Again Thanks

The following two companies are about the same distance from you (around 80 miles), you can contact them to see which one you think is better.

Mississippi Safe & Lock
601-924-4184          Bruce Tarbet
210 Maudedith Ln
Clinton, MS   39056

Gentry's Locksmith
601-656-8518          Lowry Gentry
11121 road 181
philadelphia, Ms   39350

If you have any questions concerning the services or prices that they offer, feel free to run it by me before having them do the work.

In general - if they want to charge by the hour to open the safe, they should be avoided.   if they know what they are doing, they should be able to flat rate the work.   All charges should be upfront with NO hidden charges.   Again if they can't tell you exactly what it will cost, then they should be avoided.
Mobile Service Charge may be a little more vague, but they should still be able to tell you what to expect.   if it is going to take them 1-1/2 hours to travel each way, then 3 hours at their normal hourly rate should be acceptable.   I generally have a 60 mile, flat rate MSC - anything outside of this would be at my hourly rate, UNLESS I have another job in that area, then the MSC would be split between the two calls.

Hope this helps.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)