Locksmithing/PROTECTALL SAFE

Question
PROTECTALL SAFE
PROTECTALL SAFE  

PROTECALL SAFE
PROTECALL SAFE  
HI TERRY,I AM CLOSING DOWN AN "OLD-TIME" BUSINESS IN THE BRONX PART OF NYC,AND WE HAVE THIS HUGE SAFE,THAT MY FATHER,WHO IS 95 AND DOING WELL,HAS SAID THAT SAFE WAS IN THE OFFICE WHEN HE GOT THERE IN 1949. I WOULD LIKE TO GET AN IDEA WHAT IT IS WORTH,THE NUMBERS I CAN SEE SO FAR AND LETTERS,AND THEY ARE TOTALLY READABLE IS BP-280 PLANT 1 FIRE INSULATED S.M.N.A. CLASS C SERIAL # 588076 CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THE VALUE,AND I CN SEND PLENTY OF PICS.
THANKS
BOB KENT

Answer
Bob,

The Protectall Safe Company (Syracuse, NY) manufactured safes from 1930 until it was acquired by Mosler in the early 1940's.   Mosler continued to manufacture out of this facility until 1949 when they closed it down, and moved all the equipment to their Hamilton, OH plant.  They still used this logo until the early 1960's though the safes were basically just Mosler safes.

Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) was a testing agency for safes, similar to UL.  They ceased testing safes in the early 1960's as well.

The classification "C" rating indicates that this safe was rated for 1 hour of fire resistance., and based on the serial number it would have been built in the mid to late 1940's.

Value of the container is as follows:
Fire resistance:     $0     This safe does not meet any current standards for fire resistance.
Burglary resistance: $0     This is NOT a burglary resistive safe.
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value.  Should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.
Antique:          $0     This container is NOT over 100 years old and is not antique.
Collectible:         $0     This container is NOT considered a collectible.   It is basically office equipment.

While it does NOT meet any of the above categories for value, this does not mean that it is worthless.   It still has value as a storage container just NOT under any of these categories.   While it may still provide some fire protection, due to its age, it does NOT meet any standards for document storage or protection.

If this container were in my showroom, I would probably have it listed for $900 to $1100.   The biggest problem you will have in selling it, is its size.   Most people are going to want something that they can move, and with the size of this container, it will take special equipment or moving capabilities.   So you have two issues - if you want to realize the possible full value, then you will need to be able to store it until you find the right buyer.   If you need it to go away, then you will need to be willing to let it go for much less.
There are several large safe companies in New York, that might take it off your hands, however if (for example) you called me about the safe, I would probably charge you $400 to $600 to take it off your hands to dispose of it.   The reason for this, is that we are in the business of selling Fire and/or burglary protection in the form of current model safes.   As this one does not afford either of these securities due to age and construction, it has very little value to a safe company.

Sorry, for the bad news, but at least you know where you stand at this point.   Good luck with it.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)