Locksmithing/Remington Fire proof

Question
Hello Andy,
I purchased a used Remington Rand fire proof last week, however the drivers locked the top drawer and the former owner put the codes and manuals inside. The other 3 drawers are opened. Now he cannot remember the code to opening. I really need to open the drawer otherwise I don't need the file cabinet. Could you happen to know the key code for it. It is a Remington Rand classification D number 210081.
Thank you
Denise

Answer
Denise,

sorry but there is no such thing as a "FIRE PROOF" safe or file cabinet.   These are rated in their ability to keep heat out of the container (fire resistance).   Generally 350 degrees F. is the threshold that they cannot exceed to make the standard.

I assume that you obtained the "Classification D" off of the Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) label.   This classification indicates that the container is a 1 hour fire resistive container.   If the number you provided (210081) also came off of the SMNA tag, then it does NOT apply to the lock or the container, this would probably be the label serial number.

I'm not sure I totally understand your question.   I get the part about the truck drivers locking the container, with items locked inside.    The part that you aren't clear on, is does the container have a key only - or key AND combination lock????

If it is a key lock, and you are looking for a key - IF there is a key code, it would be stamped into the face if the lock, NOT on the container.   If you are looking for a combination - there are no records of combinations which were set on any given Remington-Rand container.    Also, as they have been out of business since 1955, getting hold of them will be rather difficult.

If you are looking for the key for the key lock, any local locksmith company should be able to either pick the lock or make a key based on the code.   if you need the combination, you will need a safe tech from a local safe company - NOT a locksmith.

Hope this explains your options.   if you need more help, I will need more specific questions, so that I can try to help you.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)