Locksmithing/rusty star safe

Question
the star safes at my carwash got rusty and cant open.any thing i can do before i have locksmith drill them out?

Answer
Neil,

While you can spray the safes down with a rust removal chemical, it won't get deep enough inside the safe to do any good.   it may allow just enough movment though, to get the safe doors open.

Second item - I NEVER, EVER, EVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   You need a safe technician from a local safe company.   Locksmiths generally don't have the training, education or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.   If the safe door is ruined it will cost around $430 for a replacement door.   The parts kit to rebuild the doors is around $385 per door - PLUS any labor.

Cost to open each door should be between $250-$400 per door - depending on if the door is repairable or not.

This is really an unfortunate way of learning about the importance of maintenance of your safe doors.   I would recommend that you have at least one extra safe door - this way if you pull one off for regular maintenance, you have one to install in the empty tube.    Because of the type of use and locations that these safe are in, at a minimum I would recommend annual maintenance, and maximum ever 6 months.   Maintenance would be a lot cheaper than the price that you are currently going to incur.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know and/or would recommend that you use.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)