Locksmithing/Safe Combination Sequence

QUESTION: Hello, I have a Kumahira wall safe that I have forgotten the combination sequence to. It doesnt look like it has any other details on it apart from what looks like a serial number in the corner.
This is what it looks like:

Is there any chance you would be able to help me out?

The photo you indicated is virtually worthless - it is basically a postage stamp photo with no details or ability to zoom in to look at details.   I checked Kumahira's catalog and they didn't show a similar product.

The best that I can do is give you the basic dialing sequence.   If it doesn't work, then I will need much more information.   Serial numbers don't do anyone but the manufacturer any good.   Makers never release any information concerning safe construction, serial numbers or combinations - so this info isn't readily available.

Standard dialing sequence is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

If your safe has a key lock, unlock it now - turn handle or pull door open.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Hope this helps,

Safe front
Safe front  

Safe serial?
Safe serial?  
QUESTION: Sorry about that! I have some photos which shows all of the information about the safe that I have.
As far as I know, the safe has a 4 number combination, not a 3.

Ok, this is the extra info that I needed.

These import safes use a fairly cheap combination lock.   These locks can dial either LRLR or RLRL, however the combination is NOT the same for each sequence (because of lock design).

So using the original instructions simply change the last line as follows.

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to the fourth number - stop - turn key to open.

If this doesn't work, try reversing these instructions, or RLRL vs LRLR.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)