Locksmithing/Safe with Yale combination

Question
Hi I was hoping you could help me with a problem I have. A while back my brother gave me a safe  and he said he could only remember the first #70 and he can not remember the rest. I have been trying for weeks to get it open and I can not find anybody who can.  The safe is a tall gun safe and I can not find any other markings other then a small plate that says "underwriters laboratories INC.  second line says. I inspected light weight  safe 12798". That's all I have I can send pictures if need be.  

Vito leone.

Answer
Vito,

This safe was designed as a fire resistive, cabinet safe for document storage.   if it has a "gun" safe interior, it was modified for this.   This safe is NOT a burglary resistive safe, and if it has wheels, it is not designed for weapons storage.

If you don't have the complete combination then you have two choices - you can either try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that the lock may have, or you can have a safe technician from a local safe company open it and recover or reset the combination.

Cost should be in the $350 to $500 range.   While I realize that you may not want to spend the money - these are your two options.   Sending me photos will not help figure out the combination, and manufacturers NEVER publish or release information on the safes including serial numbers or combinations, for obvious security and liability reasons.

Contact a local safe company to have their safe technician open the safe.  I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work, as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes without causing excessive damage.   if you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code), and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)