Locksmithing/spindle sleeve latch mechanism

Question
lock mechanism
lock mechanism  

lever with spindle inserted
lever with spindle ins  
I have some old mortise locks in my 1920 house, some probably original, One has a fancy B logo on the side, others have no manufacturer indicated. All seem to have the same basic structure for the spindle (threaded) on which the knobs fasten The spindle goes through the latch mechanism on a 45 degree angle, i.e. diagonally.  However (without knowing this) I purchased some lovely Victorian style lever handles to replace a couple of old doorknobs that don't work properly or are the cheap ugly glass types you can buy anywhere.  These nice lever handles would work fine with my old spindles and locks except they have been designed so that the spindle threads through the latch mechanism as a straight horizontal square, so that the levers will be either angled up or down when fitted on the spindle and the back plates angle at a 45 also.  Bummer!  Today while buying paint at HD I noticed a mortise lock mechanism for sale that had a star-shaped spindle hole in the latch mechanism, which means one could use either spindle type.  However I'd rather not replace all the locks as most of them work perfectly well, I'd just like to replace the little machined part (I can't figure out what it is called, which is annoying) with one with those nifty star-shaped holes.
A)  What is the name of the part?  I have taken the lock apart and looked at pictures but no one online seems to label the lock parts.
B) Are these available for sale or do I have to go to my friendly local machine shop and have them drill the part out for me?
Thanks for any info you may be able to share!
MES

Answer
Hello Margaret,

Unfortunately it's unlikely you can replace the hub (the part that accepts the spindle) with one that allows for diagonal installation.  Manufacturers design their locks a certain way and each one uses a different style of hub.

Before you pay your machine shop to modify the hubs, check with www.charleslocksmith.com to see if they can help.  They deal in old locks and may be able to help.

James

Locksmithing

James