Locksmithing/titian safe- value

My elder friend has an old titan safe by Gary Safe Co. in Los Angles.  It's serial number is 6799. Size about 13 by 10, and about 7 1/2 inches tall.  Its pretty heavy.  It has a combination lock, and I think you are suppose to put it in the floor.  Could you help an Older Lady out, and tell e the value so that I can tell her.  Or at least point me in the right direction on how to find out.  Thank you.

Generally the older Gary Titan line, has little value, for a couple reasons.   #1 is that they are obsolete, and parts are not available.  #2 is the size - they are too small for any commercial or retail use.

While these safes may be ok for a homeowner (residential use), as long as the owner understands its limitations and has it serviced on an annual basis, for any other use, it would probably be a mistake.

In their day, these were great little cash safes, designed for small businesses - but that was 40 to 50 years ago.

These containers are NOT antique and they are NOT collectible, they are simply "OLD"!   Similar size, current model, NEW containers - which have parts available, and a manufacturers warranty - run about $650 to $900.

Sorry, I know its not the answer that you wanted, but it is what it is.

If she is interested in selling it I would probably start around $100 (IF she has the combination and IF it actually works correctly.   If there are any problems or it is locked up, then it is basically a door stop!

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)