Locksmithing/titian safe- value

Question
My elder friend has an old titan safe by Gary Safe Co. in Los Angles.  It's serial number is 6799. Size about 13 by 10, and about 7 1/2 inches tall.  Its pretty heavy.  It has a combination lock, and I think you are suppose to put it in the floor.  Could you help an Older Lady out, and tell e the value so that I can tell her.  Or at least point me in the right direction on how to find out.  Thank you.

Answer
Cherry,

Generally the older Gary Titan line, has little value, for a couple reasons.   #1 is that they are obsolete, and parts are not available.  #2 is the size - they are too small for any commercial or retail use.

While these safes may be ok for a homeowner (residential use), as long as the owner understands its limitations and has it serviced on an annual basis, for any other use, it would probably be a mistake.

In their day, these were great little cash safes, designed for small businesses - but that was 40 to 50 years ago.

These containers are NOT antique and they are NOT collectible, they are simply "OLD"!   Similar size, current model, NEW containers - which have parts available, and a manufacturers warranty - run about $650 to $900.

Sorry, I know its not the answer that you wanted, but it is what it is.

If she is interested in selling it I would probably start around $100 (IF she has the combination and IF it actually works correctly.   If there are any problems or it is locked up, then it is basically a door stop!

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)