Locksmithing/Victor 1910

Question
Andy, I have a Victor Safe 1910.  I do not have the combination.  Stopped one of the local experts, And they said that hey would need to drill it to open it (last resort).  They mentioned contacting Victor with the serial #, and maybe the combination would still been file.  Couldn't find any contact info for what company would now possess such data.  Saw you mention a trial numbers sequence starting with 1-100 for an 1888 Victor.  Same series of adding and subtracting from first number for a 1910?  (Which is whatnot assume I have as it says 1910 above Victor on the "knob".

Answer
Aron,

Obviously your expert isn't really that much of an expert if he thinks you can contact Victor - unless he has a time machine of some sort.   Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1885 until they were acquired by Remington-Rand in 1926.   The company was moved to Marietta, OH, and the name changed to Victor Safe & Equipment Company (not the same company).   In 1955 when Remington-Rand was acquired by the Sperry Corporation (became Sperry-Rand) ALL of the safe making operations in Marietta were closed down.   There are no records available, and manufacturers NEVER published ANY information pertaining to serial numbers or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons.

The problems with the sequence of trial numbers you are referring to, is this list was NOT somthing published by the manufacturer - this was a list put together by locksmiths looking for some type of "magic" sequence, in the 1940's to help them open these safes.   I have yet to find any safes which this work on.    Supposedly these trial combo's were for a small series of safes.

The "pre-1917" list - trial squence is:
1.  First number
2.  Second number = first number + 35
3.  Third number = first number + 8
4.  final number = first number + 26 (or the dial will stop)

Dialing sequence is:
4 times left to the first number
3 times right to the second numbe
2 times left to the third number
1 time right until the dial stops (your last number)

Again, I have not found any safes which work based on these sequences, and am only supplying the info as a test method.   If it doesn't work, your options would be to try all of the possibly 1,000,000 possible combinations, and/or having a safe tech open the safe for you.  Manipulation is possible -  if you have a trained safe tech in your area.   Drilling is also an option, and should not damage or hurt the safe or lock - IF done correctly by a trained safe tech.

NOTE:   I NEVER recommend using locksmiths as they generally do not have the training or knowledge necessary to work on safes - especially locked up ones.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)