Locksmithing/Yale/Reminton Rand Safe

I just acquired a safe approximately 42HX22WX25D with a Yale logo on the handle/dial and Remington Rand badge above and left. The safe has a number of other tags including an unlocking device number and serial numbers.  I was told it may date to the 1930's.  I am interested in finding information on the age and origin of this very cool and very heavy safe.  Any help would be appreciated.

Remington-Rand was the merger of the Rand-Kardex Company and the Remington Typewriter Company in 1926.   After their merger, they acquired "The Safe Cabinet Company" and "Victor Lock and Safe Company" - both fire resistive safe manufacturers.
The Safe Cabinet Companies factory was in Marietta, OH. and Victor's was in Cincinnati.   Remington-Rand moved all of the facilities to the Marietta location.   They actually made safes under three different labels, though every thing was made at the same facility and were virtually identical (except the logos).   The names used were Remington-Rand, Safe Cabinet Laboratories, and Victor Safe & Equipment.
Safes were manufactured by Remington-Rand under these logos until they merged with the Sperry Corporation in 1955 and ALL safe fabrication ceased.

So safes with the Remington-Rand logo's would have been made between 1927 to 1955.

Locks included on these safes varied and had a number of different models available from both Yale and S&G.   Locks with the "integrated" dial and handle were either the Yale 072-1/2, 073, or the S&G 6727 series lock.

As far as it being heavy - 500 lbs is "heavy" to most people, however to a safe company, under 1500 lbs is a "light weight" safe.   1500 to 3000 lbs is  a medium weight safe, 3000 to 5000 lbs is heavy, and 5000 to 10,000 lbs is super heavy.   Hope this puts the actual weight into some perspective.

WARNING:   These safe companies (under Remington-Rand ownership), were known to use asbestos as an insulation material.   Unfortunately there are no available records to indicate which models used asbestos and which didn't, so until tested ALL models are deemed to have asbestos.

While asbestos is a great fire resistive material, and as long as it is sealed in the walls of the safe it poses NO problem - however I don't make up the rules.   In most states asbestos IS considered a HAZOURDOUS MATERIAL (HAZMAT), and as such is regulated as to sales of items, transportation, and/or disposal of any items containing this material.   Failure to follow Federal, state and/or local regulations could result in extremely stiff fines.

I would recommend that you have the insulation tested, so that you know where you stand.   If you don't have a local testing agency you can obtain a "home test kit" from:

What other information are you looking for???

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)