Locksmithing/no combo to a diebold safe

Question
I accquired this safe from a neighbor that was moving, he said he got it as some type of payment and that he was never able to open it.
the safe has marking of  SPEC B1     y18903  SMNA group 4  and thre is no cat# . It is aprox 1 cubic foot, all 3/4 in thick steel welded into the box shape. I have been randomly making up possible combos to get this open,, and even tried combos like    50-25-50, then added a number to each up to 60-35-60.
I am at the point of just taking a sawzall to it. I have no clue if  the safe holds anything, but I dont want to torch it just incase there is.
Is there any hope?

Answer
Peter,

If you don't have the actual combination, then you have two choices - other than destroying it, which kind of defeats the purpose if you have any plans on using it.   Chances of it actually having anything inside worth anything is slim to none - people do not abandon safes with stuff inside, nor do they give them away if anything is inside.

The Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) label indicates that this is a burglary resistive chest, with a round door (group 4), with a body thickness of 1".   If the steel was less than 1" I would expect it to be a group 6.   The SMNA label has nothing to do with the safe other than indicating the level the safe was expected to resist.

Manufacturers never release any information concerning safe construction, serial numbers or combinations, and generally only have info for the last 10 years.   As this safe would have been built in the late 1940's through the early 1960's, this would include yours.

You can either try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations available, or you can have a safe technician at a local safe company open it for you.   Trying 500 combinations each day, every day, would take you around 5.5 years to test all of the combo's though hopefully you would find the correct combo before testing all of them.

Check with a local safe company to see what they would charge you to open the safe up.   While this safe does meet current standards for a burglary resistant safe, it has little resale value as it is obsolete and parts are no longer available for repairs - all the more reason not to damage it during opening.

If you are not planning on using it yourself, then you probably have little reason not to ruin it opening it up.

Sorry I don't have any more info for you.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code), and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)