Locksmithing/cosmo world safe TB - 3E

Question
When we bought our house 10 years ago, the previous owner left us a cosmo world safe in the closet, with instructions.  We have been using it all these years, but now I've misplaced the instructions and I read in your previous post that this safe is obsolete. Could you tell me what is the fireproof rating on this model?  It is a bit small for our needs now and I think we should upgrade to a safer safe, especially if it is not appropriate for digital media storage. Thank you!

Answer
Holly,

Not only is it an obsolete safe but it was an import.   To my knowledge these containers had no fire resistance at all.   If it does it would have a label on the safe telling you what it has.

Basic fire resistive safes DO NOT provide appropriate protection from heat for any type of media storage - film, digital or electronic.   General fire resistive safes only provide heat protection to about 350 degrees F.   Has paper chars around 412 degrees and combusts about 451 degrees F, this is plenty of protection for most paper documents.   Media storage melts about 200 degrees F, so you need a special fire resistive safe which provides heat protection to about 150 degrees F.

If your container does NOT have a fire resistive label telling you what standard it is built for then I recommend that you replace it with one that does and will protect your "stuff" to the appropriate level.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)