Locksmithing/Front door opens from inside but not outside

QUESTION: I can easily turn the knob and open my front door from inside the house. However, from outside, I have to press down on the lever and practically throw all my weight against the door to get it to open. Any idea why it is so difficult to open from the outside?

ANSWER: Hello Sue,

I need more information before I can answer.

What brand and/or model of lock is it?
What type of lock is it if you don't know the brand/model?
Is the door rubbing against the frame?
How old is the lock?

Do you have a photo you could attach?

QUESTION: It is a Kwikset Handleset with a lever on the outside and turn knob on the inside. The door is not rubbing against the frame and opens easily when I use the knob on the inside to open it; the problem occurs when I try to open it using the lever on the door exterior. The lock is about 9 years old.

Hello Sue,

It sounds like you have a handleset like one of these:

It's most likely that the connection between the thumbpiece (lever) and the latch is broken and those are generally not something that can be fixed.  A replacement would be needed.

Remove the handleset from the door and take it to a locksmith shop to see if they can repair it but in my experience the thumbpiece part is broken on the inside.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.