Locksmithing/Floor safe

Question
Floor safe
Floor safe  

Closer view of lock
Closer view of lock  
I purchased an old floor safe and was told it was from the basement of a pharmacy that was being demolished. I will attach an image. I have the combination and it works perfectly. Very very heavy safe. I don't know much more about it and was wondering if you could help give me some more information.  When trying to research I have found Cary safe, Gary safe, and Gaby safe companies but none that show this particular safe or even reference it clearly. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Gayelynn,

This is an easy question to answer.

The Gary Safe Company began business around the late 1950's or early 1960's in the City of Industry, CA (and later Los Angeles).  They merged with Allied Security in Seattle to form Allied-Gary International in the early 1980's.   In the mid 1990's, Allied-Gary Int. was acquired by NKL Industries (another manufacturer of electronic safes and money dispensing safes).   In 1999 NKL and its subsidiaries, including Allied-Gary International, was acquired by FireKing International.   This ended the Allied-Gary label, however FireKing did maintain rights to the "Gary" label, and continues to make safes under this label today, though these safes and this company have nothing to do with the original Gary Safe Company, other than owning the rights to the name.

So basically your safe would have been made sometime between 1975 to the mid 1980's.

This safe does meet current standards for burglary protection, for "C" rated burglary safes, however it is considered obsolete as there are no parts available for any repairs.   Bottom line what this means is, IF you are planning on using it, then I highly recommend that you have it serviced regularly to keep from having any problems.   IF at any time you notice a problem with the door, or it takes more than a couple times to successfully dial it open - STOP using it and take it in for service.   Any parts necessary to keep it operational WILL have to be hand made or fabricated.
With proper maintenance and care, this safe should give you many years of useful service.

What other questions do you have???

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)