Locksmithing/Meilink 2 door safe

Question
Thanks for your time.  I have an opportunity to acquire as a gift a Meilink safe.  It is a two  safe approximately 38 inches deep, 55-56 inches wide, and approx. 6 feet high.  The safe appears in good condition with doors open.  It was used in a business that has closed down.  No one knows the combination.  How big of a problem or how difficult would it be to get the combination. The relocking device number is A 215842.  Fire classification A No. 821582.  Other numbers if needed.  Any help appreciated.

Mark

Answer
Mark,

As long as the safe doors are open, a safe technician from a local safe company should be able to either recover the current combo's or reset them to new numbers for you.   If you are planning on using this container, I would also recommend having them service it so that you know it will actually work.

With a "Fire class A" container, this would indicate to me that the safe was made prior to 1964, especially if the label is a Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) label.   While it was originally tested for 4 hours of fire resistance, it doesn't meet current standards and it is NOT designed as a burglary resistive safe.  As you didn't give me any info concerning the second door, I would assume that it is possibly a small round door chest - if so, THIS would be the burglary resistive container.

Manufacturers never release or publish combinations or other info concerning safes, for obvious security and liability reasons.   As they also only keep records for the past 10 years or so, chances are they don't have yours.

If you plan on obtaining this container for use - DO NOT close and lock the doors until after you have had it serviced and the combination reset and tested.   Lockouts can be very expensive and you would lose any value in the safe due to the added costs.

Recommendation - as this safe is probably over 50 years old and does not meet current standards, if you are planning on using it for business purposes, or to keep cash, jewelry or valuable documents in, then I would recommend against it, in favor of a more modern, current model that does meet current standards.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)