Locksmithing/Mosler 3 drawer safe

Question
We have a Mosler 3 drawer fireproof safe cabinet.  When you lock the top drawer, it does not lock the bottom 2 drawers. You can open them when you push in the button and it will still open. Here is the Serial # 19629-18 and Model #2.  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Jodi,

Sorry, but serial numbers don't help when trying to diagnose a problem - besides the factory is the only one with access to info concerning serial numbers, and as Mosler has been out of business since 2001 that info is long gone.

Generally mechanical problems require hands on diagnostics and repairs, which means that you may need to have the container examined by a safe tech from a local safe company.

There are several things that could be happening - all of them will need to be inspected to find out what the problem is.   

First, I would check to ensure that the isolation release on each drawer is not in the "open" position.   These file cabinets can be set so that one or more drawers can be left open after the main lock is closed.   Reactivating the latch will secure the drawer when it closes.   If you don't know what to look for, either your container doesn't have it, or you will need the safe tech to inspect it.

Second, would possibly be the gang lock.   The gang lock provides individual pins or posts which engage the drawer latch, if one or more of the posts on the gang lock are missing, it may not be functional.   This will need to be inspected and/or repaired.   Again if you don't know what to look for you will need a safe tech to inspect it.

The latching mechanism on the first drawer may be out of adjustment and/or alignment with the gang lock.   While it may be engaging to lock itself, it may not be correctly activating the gang lock.   Again, this will need to be inspected and/or repaired.

While these containers are fairly simply, they still have a complicated locking system.   If you can't figure out why the drawers aren't engaging then you will need a safe tech to inspect and correct any problems.

If you don't have a local safe company to contact about their safe tech, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)