Locksmithing/Mosler 3 drawer safe

We have a Mosler 3 drawer fireproof safe cabinet.  When you lock the top drawer, it does not lock the bottom 2 drawers. You can open them when you push in the button and it will still open. Here is the Serial # 19629-18 and Model #2.  Thank you for your help.

Sorry, but serial numbers don't help when trying to diagnose a problem - besides the factory is the only one with access to info concerning serial numbers, and as Mosler has been out of business since 2001 that info is long gone.

Generally mechanical problems require hands on diagnostics and repairs, which means that you may need to have the container examined by a safe tech from a local safe company.

There are several things that could be happening - all of them will need to be inspected to find out what the problem is.   

First, I would check to ensure that the isolation release on each drawer is not in the "open" position.   These file cabinets can be set so that one or more drawers can be left open after the main lock is closed.   Reactivating the latch will secure the drawer when it closes.   If you don't know what to look for, either your container doesn't have it, or you will need the safe tech to inspect it.

Second, would possibly be the gang lock.   The gang lock provides individual pins or posts which engage the drawer latch, if one or more of the posts on the gang lock are missing, it may not be functional.   This will need to be inspected and/or repaired.   Again if you don't know what to look for you will need a safe tech to inspect it.

The latching mechanism on the first drawer may be out of adjustment and/or alignment with the gang lock.   While it may be engaging to lock itself, it may not be correctly activating the gang lock.   Again, this will need to be inspected and/or repaired.

While these containers are fairly simply, they still have a complicated locking system.   If you can't figure out why the drawers aren't engaging then you will need a safe tech to inspect and correct any problems.

If you don't have a local safe company to contact about their safe tech, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)