Locksmithing/Mosler Round Door Burglary Rating

Mosler 1
Mosler 1  

Mosler 2
Mosler 2  
I am considering buying a money safe and came across this one.  It is listed as smna class 4.  How does this translate todays TL ratings?  

Trying to decide what to buy, this for $400 or a Meilink Gibralter for $1400.  

First let me address the Mosler safe - as it as a label from the "Safe Manufacturers National Association" (SMNA), it would have been manufactured prior to 1964, in fact your safe is probably a late 1950's model.   As Mosler has been out of business for almost 13 years now, this is considered an obsolete model and parts are not available for it, unless you can find another exact model in better condition.   Chances are you won't.

So it really doesn't matter what its rating compares to, it is simply obsolete.

The Gibraltar series is still a current model, and even if you buy an older one, parts are either readily available for it, or they are fairly easy to fabricate.   The Gibraltar series will also give you full access to the entire safe, where as this Mosler "clad" model offers vary little in the way of actual storage space, for the size that it offers.

If you area actually comparing the two safes - there IS no comparison.   if you are comparing them based on their purchase prices, then you aren't actually interested in what the two safe's positive and negative values are.

Hope this puts things into perspective.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)