Locksmithing/Mosler Round Door Burglary Rating

Question
Mosler 1
Mosler 1  

Mosler 2
Mosler 2  
I am considering buying a money safe and came across this one.  It is listed as smna class 4.  How does this translate todays TL ratings?  

Trying to decide what to buy, this for $400 or a Meilink Gibralter for $1400.  

Thanks.

Answer
Jeff,

First let me address the Mosler safe - as it as a label from the "Safe Manufacturers National Association" (SMNA), it would have been manufactured prior to 1964, in fact your safe is probably a late 1950's model.   As Mosler has been out of business for almost 13 years now, this is considered an obsolete model and parts are not available for it, unless you can find another exact model in better condition.   Chances are you won't.

So it really doesn't matter what its rating compares to, it is simply obsolete.

The Gibraltar series is still a current model, and even if you buy an older one, parts are either readily available for it, or they are fairly easy to fabricate.   The Gibraltar series will also give you full access to the entire safe, where as this Mosler "clad" model offers vary little in the way of actual storage space, for the size that it offers.

If you area actually comparing the two safes - there IS no comparison.   if you are comparing them based on their purchase prices, then you aren't actually interested in what the two safe's positive and negative values are.

Hope this puts things into perspective.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)