Locksmithing/Mosler Safe Open

I have looked through many of these questions and tried the various responses to no luck. I have a double door Mosler KG-13 safe that I got from the Navy.  The door is not shut but locked (open but locked position).  I have the combo (20-40-20) but have tried all 4 to the left 3 to the right 2 to the left etc and none of them work.  Could military be unique?  Any help would be great.

No the "military" is NOT unique.   The safes and locks that they used to use, were the same as those available to any civilian or business.

There are ONLY three reason that safe locks don't work, in order - they are:

Incorrect dialing sequence, Operator errors,
Incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
mechanical problems.

Based on what you are indicating, you are either dialing it incorrectly, or do not have the correct combination.

The dialing sequence should be:

4 time left TO the first number, 20
3 times right to the second number, 40
2 times left to the third number, 20
1 time left until the dial stops (should be around 80).

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.  DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number AS it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

so you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the NUMBER 20 arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you still can't get it, then you may need a safe technician from a local safe company to inspect it and recover the correct combination for your lock.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)