Locksmithing/How can I release a push button locked file cabinet

Question
I have a Harper 4-drawer vertical file cabinet with a push button lock on the upper right. (I'm guessing it's about 15-20 years old.) The lock was giving me problems for a while, but worked. Then one day, the locking barrel (not sure if that's the right term) came out a bit, and things went rapidly down hill until I -- admittedly stupidly -- pushed in the lock and the lock barrel came completely out, leaving me with a hole where the key lock should be.

So unlike most posts I've found on the web, I have a locked file cabinet with **no key mechanism**.

I've tried jostling the heck out of it. But the only thing inside that might still move is a thick sort of peg protruding from the top near the back of the opening (where the lock barrel used to be). This peg is a full cylinder for the first millimeter or so, then a half-cylinder up as far as I can see. I can push this peg up and with a bit of jostling it will come back down. (I sprayed in a bit of WD-40 and it moves a bit better, but not freely.)

When the barrel first came out, a bunch of stuff was littering the opening -- pins and springs. I cleared all of these out. One may have been in the peg, but I cannot see clearly whether the peg itself has an opening.

At this point, the push button will come out about 2-3 millimeters, but I haven't been able to coax it out further, even jostling with vice grips while pulling. So I'm guessing something about this peg is catching or needs releasing. I figure the drawer locking bar is only down because the button is still mostly pushed in.

It is possible to get this open with what I have left?

Answer
My best advise for you is to fire the guy who got you into this mess and call a locksmith in your area, it will be open in minutes and they can install a new lock so you can get back to more productive work, doing what ever it is that you do. That locking pin you are looking at, now that you have cleared all of those pesky parts that were "littering" the hole in your broken lock, it has to be retracted to release the cylinder and locking bar.  

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington