Locksmithing/Safe combination dial has play

Question
Hello,
I have a Stack On Elite 24 gun safe that is so finicky to open.
I currently haven't had it opened in a few months because, well I can't.
The dial a has enough play in either direction from 12 o'clock to span a whole number before it engages.
Is this a culprit to my difficulty? I simply can't believe how many times I have to go thru the numbers to get it to open. It's seams to get harder all the time.
The outer fixed dial stop ring is tight. Just the turning dial has play. I have tried turning the handle in various positions as well.
Here is the model, except i have the better spin handle.
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/stack-on-safes/products/30

Thanks,
Greg.

Answer
Greg,

Sounds like the mounting screws for the dial ring are loose.   This will require disassembly of the lock to get to the loose screws.   This is not a DIY project and will require a trained safe technician as the lock will have to be correctly realigned, and reset in order for the combination to work correctly.

I don't recommend work like this as a DIY project for the same reason that I don't recommend using locksmiths.   Lack of training, knowledge or tools can result in an expensive lockout.   You need to contact a local safe company to have their safe technician service the lock, tighten all mounting screws and reset the combination.

If you don't have a local safe company (check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults", then let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)