Locksmithing/Victor Safe - Marietta, Ohio

Question
Victor Safe
Victor Safe  

Victor
Victor  
I was given a Victor Safe and was hoping you could possible help with age and value of it?

Answer
Corey,

The Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1885 until 1927 when it was acquired by Remington-Rand.   The Cincinnati factory was closed down and all the equipment was moved to Remington-Rand's Marietta facility.

Safes were manufactured at this facility until 1955 when Remington-Rand merged with the Sperry Corporation to become Sperry-Rand.

Based on your photos, I would have to estimate that these were probably late 1940's or early 1950's.

Unfortunately on the "value", you have a problem.   Remington-Rand and its subsidiary companies (Safe Cabinet Laboratories & Victor Safe & Equipment Company) were known to use Asbestos as an insulation material.  

Most states have regulations concerning any Hazardous Material (HAZMAT), buying, selling, transporting or disposal.   Until you have the container tested to determine whether or not your container has asbestos, it has very limited value.

In general your safe does not meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance, it is not an antique or collectible, and it has no commercial or retail value.   While this doesn't mean that it has no value, it just has no value under any of these categories.  

As far as owning it, I have two Victor's about the same age - one a smaller safe and the other a 3 drawer fire resistive cabinet.   While I have use for mine, I have no illusions about their value for sale.

Sorry the info isn't better.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)