Locksmithing/Victor Safe - Marietta, Ohio

Victor Safe
Victor Safe  

I was given a Victor Safe and was hoping you could possible help with age and value of it?

The Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1885 until 1927 when it was acquired by Remington-Rand.   The Cincinnati factory was closed down and all the equipment was moved to Remington-Rand's Marietta facility.

Safes were manufactured at this facility until 1955 when Remington-Rand merged with the Sperry Corporation to become Sperry-Rand.

Based on your photos, I would have to estimate that these were probably late 1940's or early 1950's.

Unfortunately on the "value", you have a problem.   Remington-Rand and its subsidiary companies (Safe Cabinet Laboratories & Victor Safe & Equipment Company) were known to use Asbestos as an insulation material.  

Most states have regulations concerning any Hazardous Material (HAZMAT), buying, selling, transporting or disposal.   Until you have the container tested to determine whether or not your container has asbestos, it has very limited value.

In general your safe does not meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance, it is not an antique or collectible, and it has no commercial or retail value.   While this doesn't mean that it has no value, it just has no value under any of these categories.  

As far as owning it, I have two Victor's about the same age - one a smaller safe and the other a 3 drawer fire resistive cabinet.   While I have use for mine, I have no illusions about their value for sale.

Sorry the info isn't better.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)