Locksmithing/antique safe

Question
Terry my friend is buying an older home that has a pre 1920 Herrick Farrell & Sherman safe built into a closet in the master bedroom.  The door is open and is very heavy. I can't even guess as to what the weight of the entire safe is.  I asked him to try to find a model no or year but don't have that info at this point. He only knows it is pre 1920 because he is assuming it was installed around that time when house was built. Any idea what type of value it might have as an antique?  Thanks for your time.

Answer
Dan,

That would be a "Herring, Farrel & Sherman", and "YES" it would be "PRE" 1920's as this concern was in business from about 1867 until 1872, in New York.   As this is also OVER 100 years old, it would make it an antique.

Sorry, but as my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time that she killed my money tree, I'm limited to actually having to see the safe to answer questions concerning weight or value.

As far as your friends "assumptions", he is probably correct in that it was installed around the time the house was built, or during some remodel, however that "date" has nothing to do with when this safe might have been built.   Most likely the original owner purchased it as a second hand safe, and NOT as a new one.

I would be more than happy to look at the safe for you, to try to answer any questions about it that I can.   In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 10mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.

Happy Memorial Weekend, I'll look forward to seeing your photos.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)