Locksmithing/Challenger Safe Reset Code

Question
I have Challenger Safes as you described with a handheld unit to open in Emergency or if wrong code is entered.My handheld is not working is there a way to reset safe after it is opened with the key.

Answer
Charlie,

The handheld item is usually just a battery pack to give you enough power to open the safe if your batteries are low.   If the unit was completely dead it may have lost its combo memory.   In this case you would use the key to open the safe.   Once open, install new batteries and then simply reset the combination.
Your safe should have a reset button on the inside that allows you to reset the combination with the door open.
Test your new combination several times to ensure it is working correctly before closing and locking the door.

NOTE:   I would recommend changing the batteries on a regular basis to ensure that you don't have this problem.   Most battery manufacturers recommend changing batteries in items like flash lights, smoke detectors, etc. at least annually, as even if they are not being used, they will STILL drain.   If you are using the safe frequently, you may have to change them more often.
Also, DO NOT use cheap batteries!!!!!   Use good quality Energizer or Duracell alkaline type batteries ONLY!    For some reason electronic locks either don't like rechargeable, lithium type batteries and others.   They may work for a while but they are NOT reliable.

Unfortunately the electronics on these safes are cheap!    This is one of those areas where you get what you pay for and cheap electronics don't give quality service.   Better quality digital locks use a ROM type memory so that the code is not lost if the power is lost or your batteries go bad - simply install new batteries and you are back in business.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)