QUESTION: is there a way to get combo from serial #

Yes and No!

"IF" the manufacturer of the safe is still in business, and "IF" they maintain a listing of the original combination that your safe was set on, then it is possible.   Many manufacturers do not maintain any type of listing by serial number, and/or only maintain a listing for up to 10 years.

"IF" the manufacturer has gone out of business, then No!    Serial numbers do not have ANY meaning to anyone but the manufacturer.   They basically tell them how your safe was made, when it was made, what items may have left the factory with your safe, and possibly what the original combination that the safe left the factory set on, was.

So the first question I have concerns "who is the manufacturer of your safe?"

Once I have this information, we can proceed to step two.

QUESTION: the safe is victor made in new york not of the date

The Victor Safe & Lock Company was in business from 1885 until it was acquired by Remington-Rand in 1926.   The manufacturing facility was moved from Cincinnati, OH to Marietta, OH.   Around the early 1930's they opened a second facility in North Tonawanda, NY to manufacturer fire resistive office equipment.

While Remington-Rand ceased all safe manufacturing around 1955-56 after being acquired by Sperry, the Victor Equipment Company continued until it was sold to a company called "Turn-10 Wholesale" around 1987.    Items manufactured with the Victor label are now made by FireKing International for Turn-10 Wholesale.   They might possibly have a combination based on the serial number, but it WILL depend on how hold the container is.   You can contact them at:

Turn-10 Wholesale
350 Mill Creek Rd
Marietta, OH 45750
Phone: (740) 374-5734
Fax: (740) 374-3322

Hope they will be able to help you out.   If not, then you may need a safe technician from a local safe company to recover the combination for you.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)