Locksmithing/Diebold round door safe

Safe open
Safe open  
QUESTION: I am looking at buying a diebold round door safe. It is fully functional with all keys for the interior door and working combination for the door. What is a good price for one of these? It is about 8cuft on the inside

Question:   Are you interested in buying or selling????

Obviously if you are buying, you want to buy it for as little as possible, and if you are selling you want to get as much as possible.

So before we get into "values" (which are very subjective), lets actually examine the safe.

These burglary resistive safes were VERY well made, and as long as you don't allow it to rust (especially along the door, door jamb areas) it should last a very long time.

So what are the downsides to a safe like this (buying and selling).

1.  extremely heavy and hard to move.
2.  has NO fire resistance - this is a burglary resistive ONLY safe.
3.  storage capacity vs size.   Sorry but you don't have 8 cubic feet of storage.   While that may be the amount of space the safe occupies, you ACTUALLY only have three small compartments.  The upper and lower in the small compartment, and the area between the inner and outer door.   As the outer door sticks into this compartment quite a ways, you probably only have a couple inches between both doors - hardly any real storage space.   And unless you are going to stack your money on either side of the door, you still have very little actual useable space in the outer compartment.
The inner compartments also have extremely limited access - remind me, how many cash drawers can fit into or through the inner door?    None???   This means that you would have to unload your cash register by hand and then MANUALLY stack the money into the compartments.
4.  Obsolete safe and locks.   There are no new locks available, and very few replacement parts.   If a lock gets damaged or quits working (lack of maintenance) then this safe would VERY quickly become a large paper weight or boat anchor.

Don't get me wrong, I really like these safes, but that wasn't the question - the question was about its "value"

If you are buying the safe, unless you are willing to pay for annual maintenance EVERY YEAR to maintain it and keep it operational, AND unless you get it for a great price - my answer would be to keep looking.
If you are selling the safe, unless you want to hang on to it for a long period waiting for the right buyer, then my recommendation would be to sell it for a low price.

Apparent values:
Fire resistance:     $0     This has no fire resistance.
Burglary resistance: $500 to $1000     While this is a great burglary resistive safe, it has too many negatives.
Resale value:        $0     Has no commercial or retail value.   This obsolete safe should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents, in a commercial establishment, where opening your store tomorrow also is dependent on opening the safe.
Antique:          $0     Not over 100 years old.
Collectible:         $0     This is not a collectible safe.

Bottom line:    As I mentioned I do like these safes, and this one has potential, however it also has too many negatives.    
Recommendation:     Buy it cheap or sell it quick!

QUESTION: I was looking at buying the diebold safe for the fact that it is built better than most of the safes I can find, and I can conceal this in my basement. The guy wants $1200, which is way too much. My second option was a Mosler government contract safe CL-5 MP. This is a lot larger, but still made very well. As far as maintenance on a safe, what is required? I am still searching and doing research on the options and construction. Do you have any recommendations? I appreciate the help.

While the GSA containers seem stout, the government looks at security diferent than the rest of the world.   While we are interested in keeping people out, the govt.  Is mainly interested in knowing that some has broken into the safe.   The majority of their protection revolves arount sureptious or covert entry.   Generally the walls provide little resistance or protection.

The lug door safe would provide better over all protection, as long as you have it serviced regularly.   This means annual or yearly maintenance, or at the least AS SOON as you notice a problem.

as far as pointing you toward s another safe, I would recommend your checking out a local sare company to see what is available?

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)