Locksmithing/Door adjustment

We have a mosler BP280, The door scrapes the bottom surface when opening. is there an adjustment that will correct this clearance issue.

You don't have a "BP280" Mosler - that was a UL listing on the lock, and has NOTHING to do with the safe, though you probably have a Mosler safe.

If the hinges are not adjustable, then basically "no"!

There are a couple issues that you need to clarify first though.   "IF" the door is perfectly aligned with the opening, and the problem is horizontal, then you may be able to add some thrust washers or shims to the hinges - this will require pulling the door.

If the door is "sagging" in a clockwise direction, then the problem is either worn hinge pins, bushings (if installed) or the hinge block may be worn.    If this is the case, unless you have a machine shop, or machinist/mechanical skills, then there probably isn't much you can do.   Again this will require removal of the door, and repair or replacement of the hinge blocks, and/or bushings, bearings and hinge pin.  

The actual answer WILL depend on exactly WHAT the problem with your door is.   It's not as simple as "my door is dragging".   There could be a number if reasons for this and a simple adjustment will NOT address any of them.

My recommendation would be to have a trained safe technician from a local safe company check the safe out to identify WHAT the actual problem is.   Unfortunately, there are probably only a half dozen companies across the country that do hinge repairs - most will simply tell you to replace the safe.   Generally if they start off with that comment, then they aren't going to help you or repair the safe, look for another company.

Sorry, wish the answer was better.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)