Locksmithing/Lord Safe Co. Safe Combination

Hi Andy,

I have a Lord Safe Co safe with a dial combination and key lock, unit.  It is a permanent fixture of the house and I would like to change the combination as the previous owners still live in the area.  Is this something I can do myself or am I better off taking the door to a technician to do it for me?  I have both the key to the locking mechanism and the combination.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lord made a number of different types of safes from low security to high security.   Pretty much all of the locks that they used require special tools to change the combination on the combination lock.    The key lock can also be rekeyed, but unless the safe technician has the ability to generate or originate a new key, most companies won't mess with the key lock.

Generally I don't recommend changing the combination for the same reason that I also don't recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and tools can result in an expensive lock out.   On the medium to high security safes this can be an EXTREMELY expensive lock out.

If your door is small enough that you can remove it and carry to a local safe company, this by far, would be the most inexpensive and quickest way to change the combination, and guarantee that you don't have any problems with it.

Obviously if you are transporting the door, you want to make sure that you do NOT hit the dial in any way.   Even shifting its alignment with the lock slightly can change the set combo several numbers in either direction.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)