Locksmithing/Lost vanguard safe combination

Question
My Dad yrs. ago bought a vanguard vs200 safe. The problem is the combination has been lost,and he has passed away. My Mother seems to think that you all might could help us. It fits under a side table and I pulled it out to try to find a serial number but couldnt. I wanted to see if maybe I could find the serial number you could look up the combination and we would pay you..This is what a locksmith told us today..thank you so much..sincerely June

Answer
June,

These safes were built for Sears - the "Vanguard" was simply the logo for the brand and not a manufacturers name.   There are no records available anywhere for these containers - even with a serial number.   Manufacturers also NEVER publish records of serial numbers or combinations for obvious security and liability reasons.

Next item, I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for any type of safe work as they generally do not have the training, knowledge or tools to work on safes.

You will need to have a safe technician from a local safe company, open the safe and recover or reset the combination for you.   Unfortunately - cost will probably be more than the safe is worth.   Cost in the field should be in the $350 to $500 range to open and repair the container.   In a safe company shop, it may be less.

Your only other option would be to try all of the possible 1,000,000 combinations which may be on the lock.

Sorry, Wish the answer was better - but if the combo's were readily available they wouldn't be very safe!

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)