Locksmithing/Mosler safe

Question
I would like to open a Mosler safe that was left in my house. The serial # is 220276. I am proficient with tools. Will cutting off the hinges with a saw-z-all work. What do you recommend.

Answer
Joe,

First off, we do not give out ANY opening instructions other than proper dialing sequence for obvious security and liability reasons.   Even if you were a licensed locksmith or safe technician this would apply as this is an open forum available to anyone.   As we have no way of knowing who you are, or what your authorization to work on the safe is, we also would not give out this information.

As far as the hinges are concerned - manufacturers figured out this trick about 150 years ago.   If it was this simple to get a safe open, they wouldn't be very safe.   Hinges have NO purpose other than to carry the weight of the door.   Cutting them off could be a very serious safety issue to you, IF you manage to get the safe open.

Also as YOUR safe MAY in fact be an Antique safe, damage in any way WILL affect the value - SERIOUSLY!

I'm not sure what your end goal is for the safe, but my recommendation would be to reconsider your plans.   I would have to recommend that you don't take this on as a DIY project, but instead have a safe technician from a local safe company, open the safe for you.

Antique safes which are undamaged and/or restored may have value beyond what you are considering.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)