Locksmithing/Removing a locked Sargent door knob

We have a Sargent doorknob that is locked and even the master key does not work in the lock.  I want to remove it and replace it with a knob from an extra door in my shop that has a working key mechanism.  I know about removing an unlocked Sargent door knob by loosening the rose and pressing on the wire to release the knob.  However this knob is locked but I have access to open the door so both knobs are accessible. My understanding is that the wire is not accessible unless the lock is unlocked.  Administrators have tried all of their keys with no luck.  Please help.

Hello Charles,

With the door open, find the retainer hole in the inside knob and depress it.  Pull the inside knob off.  Pull the rose off.  Remove the screws or the nut then the mounting plate.  Slide the outside assembly out then remove the latch.

You shouldn't have to access the keyed side to remove it from the door.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.