Locksmithing/Round Diebold Safe

In a previous thread this safe was discussed.
We have one that needs to be opened but we are unsure of which way the lock is positioned.  From elsewhere on the internet the change key hole seems to suggest that the lock is horizontal with the bolt on the left as you face the front of the safe.  I also saw there is a re-locker on the safe.  My coworker wants to drill for the bolt and push it out of the way.  I think he should drill for the wheel pack and dial it from there.  I'm more of a person who prefers finesse versus force.  I presume a standard lock and to drill in the usual position for the wheel pack?

First let me preface by saying that we do not give out any opening instructions other than proper dialing sequences, for obvious security & liability reasons.   We have no way of knowing who you are, or what your authorization to work on the safe is.   Even if you are a licensed locksmith or safe technician we have no way to verify this.

As far as the locks on the doors, Diebold used a lot of different types of locks, from the standard lock to a number of round locks.   Before even considering any opening options I would recommend that you acturately ID the door that you have.

If you are not a member of SAVTA (Safe & Vault Technicians Association) or NSO (National Safeman's Organization) I would recommend that you join.   NSO would be my recommendation of the two.   www.davemcomie.com
Dave currently has several books available (through the National Locksmith or Lockmasters) on round doors, which will answer all of your questions.

Warning:   I DO NOT recommend any options that MIGHT result in ANY damage to the lock, as many of the locks are no longer available, which means that after you get the safe open, it may need to be replaced.

If you don't have fiber optic scope capabilities, then you may want to sub the work out to a local safe company that has the ability to open the safe almost damage free.

At any result, I would recommend your checking NSO out if you are a locksmith shop and plan on doing more safe work.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)