Locksmithing/No Safe Combination

Question
Recently my father passed away and left behind a Cannon Safe that is almost the size of a walk in closet. My Dad was some what of a hoarder and has kept everything over the years, so much as the manuals for remote controls. However, I have been unable to locate the paperwork regarding the combination of his safe. I was able to locate the key but this is a safe that I suppose requires both combination and key to access. I did try contacting the manufacture but they will not give me any information because of security purposes even after I explained that he had passed over a week ago. I am at a dead end because I have been left with plenty of expenses that I did not expect to have after his passing and cannot afford a locksmith. Can you offer me any help? I have read online about the manufacture combinations but I know nothing about this area of expertise. Any help that you could provide for me would be greatly appreciated. I would be more than happy to provide any type of proof needed to verify my fathers passing if that is what is needed. Again I do have the key just no combination.
Thanking you in advance,
Jeanne

Answer
If the executor/executrix of the estate contacts the safe manufacturer with the appropriate documentation they should be able to help you.

There are no generic "factory combinations" as such. Most safe manufacturers that use mechanical combination locks just pick a number at random.

These locks can be set to a users choice of numbers. Usually this happens upon delivery.

I would try some of his favorite numbers such as birthdays, anniversaries etc.

If you are going to sell the safe, it's sale price should more than cover the cost of a competent safe technician.

If you let me know your location, city/state, I may know someone in your area that I can recommend. Or you can try SAVTA.org for a list of safe technicians.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno