Locksmithing/Saga Safe-D-Posit Safe bolting down

Question
I have an old Saga Safe-D-Posit safe which I'd like to bolt down.  The safe has metal "feet" near each corner, and in the center of each foot is about a 3/16 hole.  However there is no corresponding hole inside the safe. I discovered that if you put a small lag screw or even a drywall screw into that hole, it will go into some kind of soft material, possibly fireproofing of some kind.  I could bolt the safe down from underneath, but I'd be screwing into material that won't hold.  How would I bolt this safe down?

Thanks,

Russ M

Answer
Russ,

First, I have to tell you that bolting down your Saga container WILL NOT increase its security other than making it more difficult for someone to carry off.   I'm assuming of course that your reason for wanting to fasten it down "IS" because you plan on keeping something of value inside of it.   Correct???

If so, rather than waste your time - fooling yourself into thinking you have more security, I would recommend that you actually buy a safe which WOULD provide some type of burglar protection and that is pre-drilled to be bolted down.   The "MINIMUM" protection necessary for any type of burglary protection would include at least 1/2" of steel in the doors, and 1/4" of steel in the walls of the container.

Your Saga Safe-D-Posit container was designed to provide ONLY temporary storage of documents to protect them from heat, IF your house caught fire.

Assuming that you are going to go ahead with this project, you will need to remove all four of the rubber mounted feet, and drill two holes straight through the container into the interior.   One of these holes would be closer to the back, and the other closer to the front, though back far enough so that it does not interfere with the proper opening and closing of the door.   The holes should be large enough to accommodate at least 3/8" anchors.

The container needs to be bolted to concrete to provide any real holding power.   If you are bolting it to any type of wooden structure, then you need to use a large carriage bolt, through bolted from UNDER the wood and UP into the container, with the nut on the inside.   I would recommend self-locking type nuts so that they don't loosen up.   Also the carriage bolt should have some type of large steel back support to provide more pullout protection - inside and out.

Again, I have to mention that these containers were NOT designed to provide this type of protection.

Hope this helps.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)