Locksmithing/deadbolt wont work

I removed the deadbolt lock in an attempt to install a different one. It didn't work so I replaced the old one which worked perfectly before I removed it.  Now the inside lock knob will not turn unless the key is in the outside of the lock.  It turns smoothly with the key in, with the key turning it . . . but without the key I can't lock the door at all from the inside knob.  What did I do wrong when putting it back in?

Hello Stacie,

Your lock  was installed out of timing and likely has a flat tailpiece.

Remove the deadbolt.
Remove the bolt mechanism.

Reinstall the bolt mechanism making sure that if the part has UP listed or that the hole where the tailpiece (the part that extends from the key side) goes though is in the right direction.

With the door open, the bolt in the retracted position, face the edge of the door - the edge the bolt comes out of. Take the outside assembly into the hand that is on the outside of the door, place the face of it in the palm of your hand and hold it like you are installing it.  Turn the tailpiece toward the hinge side of the door - the top of the tailpiece toward the hinge side, until it stops.  Insert the tailpieice into the mechanism then install the inside assembly.

That should fix your issue.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.